Sunday, March 19, 2006

a post in which rory stipulates that he gives not a flying fuck whether the war is civil or not


The debate over whether there is a “civil war” in Iraq reminds me of the debate over whether the U.S. tortures people. And both aforefrickin'mentioned debates remind me of the debate over whether white phosphorus is a chemical weapon. I know I’m in a minority (so what else is new rory, you crazy fucker?), but rory sez: I don’t really give a shit. Dead is dead whether you are killed in a civil war or not. Broken and ruined is that same whether it resulted from "torture" or "intensive interrogation methods." Incineration by phosphorous feels the same whether you call it willie pete or w. bush.

“Clusterfuck” is a good catchall term and close enough for me. It is also flexible, like a frickin’ balloon. So when 40 or 50 people are blown up in markets, in vehicles, or sleepin’ in their beds, by an IED, a intelligent red white and blue munition, or an rpg, or when a family is machine gunned in a car by friendly fire or unfriendly fire, or a GI blows his brains out in fear and despair, or a screaming daddy carries his stump-legged bleeding babie ‘til he has no voice no strength left in his legs arms or heart, deaf from the blast concussion anyway, or when the body count is 10,000 or 20,000 or 100,000 or 180,000 and the wounded in all senses of that word already uncountable, I really don’t give a shit about the debate over whether there is a “civil war” going on or not. “Clusterfuck.” I think I’ll just stick with that one. And that is a weak word. But there is no word or set of words strong enough to describe this clusterfuck. Let "clusterfuck" stand for the indescribable. The bastards in the White House love it when the debate becomes about words. They can speechify and we can fret over whether the vocabulary of war is correct. The usage of death. Not too long ago, Condiloma Rice said we don’t “torture.” This goes back to the incipient stages of the clusterfuck, when the Wall Street Journal and the NYT and all the bastards in the government were talking tough and big about strenuous interrogation methods with the fantasy, nonexistent scenario posited of someone about to blow up thousands of civilians who can only be stopped if someone is tortured into revealing their coordinates so the terrorist can be taken out by a cruise missile. Well, they were all saying that making a person “uncomfortable” is not torture. Putting people in “stress positions” is not torture. Words whitehouse motherfuckers.

When you are shackled to a floor. When the room you are locked naked in never gets dark. When it is never quiet. When you are hungry, helpless and cold. When it never gets light. When you have water poured up your nose so your lizard brain shoots panic drowning signals through your entire being. When you are separated completely from your life your loves your world. When your tibia is shattered by a bat wielding army cook who had a bad day and wants to get it out of his system. When you are beaten with rifle butts. When you are shackled arms behind you naked to a bedframe while a huge dog snaps at your cock and balls.



When you were just a chicken farmer guilty of no crime worse than raising chickens and a bag was thrown over your head and you were beaten for refusing to confess.
When you are raped. When you are beaten nearly to death. When your balls are shocked with electricity through crushing clamps. When you are led around naked on a leash. When you are covered in your own fear shit. When you have been beaten so badly before death took you in its mercy that your legs are literally “pulp.” When your nose on your sandbagged head has been punched until it splits. When you have a broom handle or a light stick shoved up your ass. When you’ve been raped. Do you really give a flying fuck if you were “TORTURED?” according to the whitewhores definition?

On phosophorous, white phosphorous, tendril sending white hot chrysanthemum of death. When your skin melts off. When you are merely seared from head to toe down to the nerve endings screaming like a hundred thousand burning babies. When you are shiny with all the lymph in your body. When your leg crumbles away, black, no longer any more substantial than incinerated wonderbread. Do you really give a shit whether this was a chemical weapon or not? The cold killers in the whitehouses of washington want the argument to be about words. They can live with that debate. Such benign, clean, vacant fucking words. “Civil war.” Oxymoronic words. Overused words. Words argued inapplicable. “Torture.” “Chemical weapons.” Obscene debates over definitions of words. I say fuck them. rory concedes the war of words. “Fine, its not a ‘civil war.'” “No, of course we don’t do torture.” “White phosphorous is not a chemical weapon.” So fucking what?

20 Comments:

Blogger Yellow Dog said...

Yeah, there's a god. Motherfucker. Ad I'm paying for this.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Add me to your flying fuck crowd. You are not alone in this.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

I know dog ...
thanks mary ... I'm proud to be a part of your crowd

7:30 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Thank goodness for the internet allowing me to know I'm not alone with my feelings. Not real sure I would have been able to keep my sanity without it.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

I will say it with you my friend... War is never civil... National, maybe, but not civil. Never.

Peace...

1:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

powerful

2:05 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

pop: roger that
poetryman: roger that
rose: I'm powerfully disgusted
thanks friends

4:35 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

God's in his White House and all's well with the oil...right?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

This one is for my soulful friend, rory... Dead is Dead

8:46 AM  
Blogger gugon said...

Very powerful post. I for one, get so tired of "spin" and rhetoric that if I think about it too much I'm afraid my head will explode. Americans have become so complacent and tranquilized that nothing really gets to us anymore. How long will we continue to have that luxury? I just heard on the radio the war being termed a "liberation". Ooohhh, okay, it's a liberation - well that's not so bad - carry on. Infuriating! You're right - "clusterfuck" is not a strong enough word, but I can't think of a better one either.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you writing a book? This is great stuff and deserves to be perfect-bound with an ISBN number. It sure beats the Onion (and it's actually more insightful than the Onion).

Consider this the beginning of constant badgering--I'm sure your other readers agree.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

yeah, gugon ... I know that head explodin' feeling ... ah a liberation ... so many liberated from their lives ... I'm liking clusterfuck better and bette so long as I define it as "indescribably horrible shit happening" it acknowledges its own inadequacy that way ...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

guerillas I love you ... with that kind of encouragement the obsession will be fueled ... thank you so much for your kind words ... I'm overwhelmed by what you have said ... man do I dig the internet ... for now all I can say is Holy Sh!t! how is possible to feel such happiness after such a sad, woeful wailing post. Tears of joy and happiness are often kissin' cousins in my eyes though. I am grateful for badgering. I think serious badgering has been missing from my life ... I think I am ready to accept it.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

As I said over at poetryman's place, his riff and where it goes then on this theme is very beautiful ... that I mean from my heart dudes ... it did indeed bring tears in rory's eyes. so few wanderers who visit here and the fewer still who don't wander regularly to poetryman ... please go there ... it makes the picture with razors of words ... and raises a chill like a harmonious howlin' coyote beseeching the night ...

12:46 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Great post Rory and so fuckin true. In my opinion the word clusterfuck is not used enough.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

rebecca morn: how wonderful to hear you back out here ...
fuckin A haddock

5:48 PM  
Blogger Graeme said...

fucking sick isn't it. it is fucking disgusting that the white house still keeps saying everything is going all right. i want to throw something at my tv everytime some knob job goes on tv to say how fucking great the killing is going

12:12 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I said it at my place on Monday: Maybe if we dress them up in gray and blue uniforms then we can finally declare that it is a civil war.... but you're absolutely right Rory. We have taken everything that can be taken from these people, so they have nothing left to lose. Why shouldn't they hate our fucking guts and strap a bomb to their car and blow us, them, and anyone else to smithereens? The afterlife sure as hell has to be more appealing than the unbearable here and now for them, thanks to us.

8:02 PM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

To take horrific ugliness and turn it into such painful beauty is a gift, and why I love reading this blog. They may use words to obscure the truth, but you use those same words to expose it. I'll be first in line to buy that book.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

yeah tina ... your post rocked on this ... right on comment
LG I rory bows to you with humble respect and thanks

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home