Sunday, April 02, 2006

rory celebrates footwear new year; thanks his feet for their hard work, dedication and teamwork; and checks the living clock of nature. 4-2-06

This pair has been my feet's best friends since last Spring. Look at them. Aren't they beautiful? So much history. They speak to me. An excerpt: "The things we've seen that you've missed, rory. Those beautiful green beetles copulating in the shade of a small rock on the trail, the Adder's Tongue Lily when no more than a green tip in moist brown earth. The vole scat in a circle on the trail just before the bluebell meadow, the silt clouds from underwater in the polliwog puddle. Ah, but you do recall the rattler under the leaf litter flicking lefty with her tongue. Of course lefty saw her first." Yes, dear friends we have traveled many miles, walked through mud, climbed cliffs, stood in streams, walked foggy alley pavements glistening with rain, stamped the snow off at the gates of many a convenience store, and hardly ever stepped in dog shit. It has been a good year. You have served me well. You have earned your light duty now. Righty, your torn toe attests to your courage dancing in scree. Lefty, you haven't complained about your split seam once. I love you guys.


It is Footwear New Year's day. April 2. This is the New Year that rory celebrates. rory sez: screw January 1st. Fuck the lunar new year. The equinoxes are the more significant natural dates to me, anyway. Equinox and Footwear New Year's Day. Footwear New Year's celebration involves acceptance of new boots and a breaking-in ceremony. Perhaps most importantly, it involves foot awareness. I remember to be grateful TO my feet. Often, but not often enough in this world of locomotion-prostheses for the healthy, my feet are my only carriage. On Footwear New Year's day I remember to be grateful FOR my feet. Not everyone has functional feet, or feet at all. Feet, I love you! I say this all day. I shout it to the hills. Feet I love you!

With some apprehension, I switched brands of footwear this year. The primary reason: I did not want to wear the skin of an animal whose death might have been ugly and painful and the culmination of hideous suffering and abuse at the hands of Chinese killers or any other executioners with no care about how much pain they inflict. I didn't want my shoes to have been the living organ of a creature slowly killed by a tightening wire garrot, a knife cutting its live throat, or hammer carelessly brought down on its head several times. rory sure as shit didn't want to be unknowingly wearing canine skin on his dogs. Especially not from doggies skinned alive to make a pair of shoes, a wallet, jacket or purse. And yet, rory's feet carry him many miles through some rough terrain, both during work and recreation. He likes comfortable, waterproof boots that let him dance over the scree without feeling like a spike is being driven into his instep and tiptoe over the talus with traction and support. His feet help to feed him and must be taken care of. The solution, rory hoped, had been found:



Weather was fine today for the breaking in ceremony. Titmice and chickadees were busy in the bittersweet vines. Ravens flew out over the cliffs enjoying the breeze and sun over the river. A peregrine falcon shot along the face of a cliff as rory walked in his new boots. Feet were feeling pretty good. The breaking-in ceremony was going well. There was a good scree simulator along the banks of the river and rory walked it in the new boots:



Hmm. Good ankle support on the uneven and unsteady rocks. Good foot protection from the sharp edges of rock. Feet to rory: 'I think we're falling in love again." rory keeps walking along the scree-simulationg bank. rory's not just thinking about his feet. He's feeling the breeze. The sun. Seeing what time it is in nature. Today this willow by the river looked like this:



Past the willow, on the beach, a Mourningcloak:


Every Butterfly has its time. Today is the time for this Mourningcloak. Oh, Butterfly who overwinters as an adult, who leaves the hibernaculum to gather energy on those lovely solar panel wings, who enjoys the first sap of Spring! rory is happy to see you. As he kneels to photograph the Butterfly, he notices that his new boots remain comfortable and in place, despite the change in position, the folding of toes. From this year forward, rory will associate the beautiful Mourning Cloak with Footyear New Year's Day, much as some associate the noisy spinning of cheap ratchets and the popping of champagne corks with u.s. new year's day.

The Mourning Cloak's context from rory's point of view;



On the way back, the tide was flooding. An excellent opportunity to test the waterproofness of the new boots and walk on slick rocks. And they performed well. Feet were dry. As good a coefficient of friction as you're gonna get between sole and slimy rock.


On the way back, a visage miraculously appeared in nature. Holy Mother Mary on a Flapjack! Jesus Christ on a Tortilla!! One of the Teletubbies on the beach! Placed there by the tides and divine intervention. Laa Laa, specifically. Keeper of the shape shifting ball. Frequent sayer of the word "Nice." Surely a sign. I mean, had it been Jesus on the cross, most would have taken it as a sign, a miracle, a message from god, no? For a moment, I thought this yellow Teletubbie was the daughter of a deity, or perhaps the sun goddess herself, and that she brought a blessing upon the boots. So, in the godless religion that rory creates anew with every beat of his heart, Laa Laa is now the saint of boots. Oh sacred sun-yellow Teletubbie of shifting orb, Laa Laa, bless the boots of rory and all his friends. Like the Mourningcloak, Laa Laa officially will henceforth be associated with Footwear New Year's Day and be worshipped during the ceremonial activities associated with the event. And for those of you who would accuse rory of livin' in Laa Laa land. rory sez: Fuckin' A!


New boots, rory thinks you and he are going to have many good times together through another cycle of the living clock of nature.

22 Comments:

Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Save your old boots! True story, my Aunt Cora used the boots of her absentee husband to plant flowers. In fact, she planted flowers in everything she could. So, fill those old boots up with dirt and stick in a few fleurs. Great story. Can't wait to hear the end of the Chimp story - hint, hint.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

hey Mary ... thanks on both fronts ... the END of the chimp story is a ways off ... but I'll get back on the path soon ... my goal is one part of billy ray a week ... re: the boots ... I like that one ... that old pair still has plenty of use in em ... they're just too broken down for the hardcore stuff ... I'll wear em on jobs that don't have much walkin' on rough terrain but that might be mucky ... light duty for the old guys ... and THEN ... maybe some flowers ... thanks for keepin' on me about Billy Ray ...

6:18 PM  
Blogger PTCruiser said...

Nice to see you'e taking good care of your dogs, Rory. I'm normally a thrifty type of shopper, but when it comes to my feet, I spare no expense. Especially when it comes to my work boots. I figure if I'm going to spend eight hours standing on them, they better be comfortable. Nice post, Rory and beautiful pictures as always. thanks for sharing.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

oh, and PT, I forgot to say: Laa, Laa, may you bless PT's boots.

6:55 PM  
Blogger JBlue said...

Rory, I'm looking for new sandals. Will Laa Laa bless them when I find the right pair, too? (Although I'm more of a Dipsy fan, really.)

You're crazy in the best sort of way. You're linked, too.

7:09 PM  
Blogger PTCruiser said...

My feet thank you much for the blessing, Rory.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

The blessings of Laa Laa will be upon your sandals Jublu.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your (old) boots ARE beautiful. i know what you mean about them being old friends.

i too do my darndest NOT to wear the skins of animals. i'm no saint though. far from it. looks like you got a grand new pair! i'm going to guess they won't last as long as the old pair though. that's the sacrifice we must make

oh and BEAUTIFUL pictures to boot (so to speak)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Oh dear God how I love to shop for footwear... Hubby... not so much. He is exactly like you. He buys 1 pair of R-E-A-L-L-Y durable and fairly expensive boots to last him all yr long. Since his birthday is the first week of May, we nicknamed the buying of the yearly boots the May Day sale.... now if I can only get him to dance around the boots skyclad in a circle like Maypole dancers maybe we won't need Laa Laa's omnipotent blessings.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Yukkione said...

great post Rory. I'm a buy a good pair and wear them to they fall apart person. Your china link to PITA was quite diturbing, and will make me make more informed choices. thanks

4:51 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I can't even start to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. I had fun just following along and hearing what you heard and seeing what you saw.

This is the time of year when my shoes get a rest most of the time because my toes like to go commando in the sunshine and the sand.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

rose: thanks ... not sure if these will last as long ... it's the bottoms, the soles that get to the point where the shoe has to be retired ... the uppers, well even if they're beat up ... as long as the goretex is still intact (and I haven't had a pair of goretex boots start leakin' on me before something else wore out) ... the soles of those old guys in the first pic have no tread on em and are perilously thin in one area ... not good for hard hikin' anymore ...
tina: I like your ritual ... maybe we can merge them ... Laa Laa and the maypole ...
loc thanks ... thanks for examining the link ... it is rather horrifyiing ... the cruelty is unbearable ...
pop thanks ... great boots are a joy ... but there's nothin' like commando toes if your in an environment where that works ... man, now rory's dogs wanna go to the beach ...

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rory, the chronicle of the break-in journey for your new boots was a joy to see and read...thanks for bringing me along and thanks also for confirming my identification of a mourning cloak while on a walk through the woods recently...it was very refreshing to see a full-grown butterfly in March doing exactly what I was doing...enjoying the warm sun!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

maineiac ... it was good to have you along ... the mourning cloak is so beautiful ... surprising to see a butterfly so early sometimes ... anyhoo ... thanks for comin' round

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"celebrate, celebrate, dance to the muse-ache". loved the pic of the tide coming in. reminded me of a little Mexican inlet bay I walked across that was nice & dry in the AM, but by the time we headed back to civilization, it was all flooded. Looked like it might be knee-height, so we chanced it, ended up losing footing in the washed-out channel sand & bobbing up to our necks! Small fearful moment, but the ocean was kind that day (shoes optional). D.K.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Happy Foot Year To You!

5:50 PM  
Blogger gugon said...

All Hail Laa Laa!

Great post rory! The pictures are incredible. Did you take all those? Wow - where do you live? I might have to move there. This neighborhood is really starting to suffocate my soul.

I loved the story and I appreciate the kind of person who notices things that most other people would look right past.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

anon, neil, gugon, forrest, love your comments, gotta rush out now to a long grueling day of work, but want to say more and will later ....

3:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's uncanny! I literally got MY new pair yesterday, by UPS from REI. I am so psyched to break them in. But today is raining and I didn't want to muck them up the first day, so I'm going to wait for a sunny day for their maiden voyage.

Nice new shoes! I have to admit, my new ones are leather... I should have thought about the cow thing... damn...

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I loved the pictures of the coastline. They look like they could be taken in Michigan along one of our Great Lakes. Were they?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Great post, Rory and a wonderful find, that teletubbie! An omen, baby!

For some reason I thought you were north like me!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

Lily: thanks ... yeah, gonna hafta "enshrine" Laa Laa
Kathy: it's the Hudson River ... coastlines are always fascinating, aren't they? My first swim as a wee one was in Lake Michigan, by the way.
Helen: Happy Footwear New Years to you ... may the blessings of Laa Laa be upon your boots ... and know they will carry you to many cool places ...
gugon, thanks so much ... yeah, I took the pix as I went ... I live in NY state ... that's the Hudson, as you've already gleaned from the comment if you're back here readin' it ...
Carrie's sister: HFS! hey other blog people wtf?
Forrest: Blessings of Laa Laa upon your earth shoes
Neil anna happy new year to you as well
dk ... thanks for sharing your mexican experience ... in places the tides and currents are incredible ... definitely a cool thing that makes life interesting ... glad you made it back

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home